Saturday, July 20, 2013

WATCHING THE WEATHER...

I drove a truck for more than forty years and after making more than my share of mistakes, I began to pay more attention to some things...Especially, the weather...

As we all know, the weather is unpredictable(weatherman or not), but after a few winters under my belt I became some what of a weatherman myself.  In most cases, it only requires a bit of common sense to avoid a major catastrophe. After a while I begin to realize it when a situation was developing and get out of the way BEFORE it was too late.

I was just outside of Rock Springs, Wyoming, it was December, and had been raining all day long. No snow so far...just rain. Anyone that knows Wyoming, knows it is usually a very long way to the next town. A long, open stretch of road with almost no places to get in out of the storm if it suddenly hits. The sun was starting to go down and the temperature was dropping fast. That meant only one thing to me...ICE!

I had already made up my mind that there is not a load worth getting injured or killed  for. I learned a long time ago, most of my customers would rather that I arrive late, rather than them losing everything. Now, if only I could find a motel room for the night. A lot of nights I slept in the truck but, somehow, tonight was not going to be one of them...IF I can help it... On stormy nights, the motels have a booming business. I have wondered more once if the motels owners pray for bad weather, knowing it is good for business. I certainly hope not...
Fortunately, I pulled in early enough and managed to get a room, I park the truck and headed for a safe night and maybe a quick beer. As I made my way to the motel I glanced towards the highway, still  packed with traffic, trying to make a few more miles. I wondered if they remembered that it is over a hundred miles east to the next truck stop. I hoped they knew what they were doing. Soon, that road is   going to be a nightmare in ice. Oh Boy!
I spent a comfortable night and had a good sleep and once the sun came up next morning, I had a slow breakfast and waited for the morning sun  to knock the top off the icy night's work. Finally, I warmed the truck up, caught up my log book and headed east. It wasn't long before I saw the results of NOT watching the weather...I always have to wonder if they were just driving too fast, or if maybe, the wind caught them. Many new drivers are too OVER confident. Under such conditions, too much confidence can get you killed. I learned long time ago that no matter how heavy a truck is loaded, IF that wind catches the side of it...Well! It is NEVER heavy enough... Once that trailer gets more than half way around, there is not much chance of saving it. All one can do is hang on...
Call me Paranoid, or maybe just more experienced, but that could have been me that ended up like that. I will be honest and tell you, a few winters ago...That WAS me...Now, you know WHY I watch the weather...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know...