Friday, July 5, 2013

Young Adventures In The North Country...

At age 17, a friend and I hitchhiked from California, back to Colorado,  where we had lived before. It took us about two weeks to get there, with more than enough problems along the way. We were going back to catch the yearly wheat harvest. Young and adventurous, we were going to get a job with the wheat harvest and see new things...

We made a brief stopover in Raton, New Mexico, where we took a week's job on a construction crew. The reason we did this was because, back then, hitchhiking in Colorado was a good way of ending up in Jail; We weren't too keen on that prospect, so we busted concrete for a week, got lot of blisters and made just enough money to buy a ticket to Akron, Colorado.
When we arrived in Akron, we were told that the harvest started early and we had just about missed everyone. There were just a few left. Oh No!
 We sat in the cafe having a cup of coffee and wondering if we had made a mistake. About the time we were beginning to lose hope one of the Harvesters by the name of Melvin Robinson(from Brownfield, Texas) came in. The waitress told him we were looking for work and, thank God, he was needing a couple of strong young bodies. At last...  we had a job...We had gotten rather lean and hungry on our trip to Colorado and the idea of
starving was not good. Now, at least we knew we wouldn't go hungry again.

It was hot dusty work, but we were young and could take it; We kept telling ourselves that. The cutting near Akron lasted for about another week then we were on our way to Montana. I had never been to Montana before. A job and a new adventure; A perfect time at 17...

In a matter of days we arrived in Ft. Benton, Montana, a very old town sitting right on the Missouri river. Very old and interesting. Our boss paid us 30 dollars a week and room and board. We were to stay at the old Choteau Hotel. Like the rest of the town, the old hotel was ancient, even in 1958, but it was hard to find any place to stay when the harvest on going on. Harvesters were packed in  everywhere.
We had to share, four to a room, but after long days in the field we were so tired we  didn't care or know the difference. We heard tales about strange happening in this old building. Lots of ghost stories. I listened for a while then just passed out, leaving the ghosts to themselves. It was an exciting time for a 17 year old boy. We worked hard, ate good, passed out at night and earned a lot of good memories to remember in the future.

About 40 years  later, I was working for a moving company out of Cheyenne, Wyoming. One day my boss told me that one of the bank executives was moving to Montana, and did I want to do the job? Sure! Where is he moving? When he told me, a funny feeling came over me; He was moving to Ft.Benton....He started to tell me where it was located but I stopped him and told him...'I've been there'! Ok! The job was on...

We loaded the bankers furniture and off we went to Montana. I didn't even think about the time of year till I was just outside Ft. Benton, then I realized...Good lord! It's harvest time...Oh Boy! That is weird. Then, I suddenly remembered something; How impossible it might be to find a place to stay the night...
I arrived at the bankers new house and we unloaded and finished in good time. I wasn't so young anymore and I find myself quite tired, but still hadn't decided where to stay the night. There were no truck stops so parking the truck and sleeping in it was not an option. I decided to ask one of the locals for any ideas.

As I might have expected, he told me the wheat harvest was in full swing and about everything was full. I asked him about the Choteau hotel. I got the dumbest looks from those standing around. I asked what was wrong. He just grinned and hesitated for a moment...

That old hotel is a historic landmark and has been closed for years now. I guess too many roomers complained about the old land lady walking the halls all night long. Problem was...She had died several years earlier, but had apparently never left. Enough is enough! They just decided to close it up.

I ended up getting approval from the local police and I slept in my truck...parked in front of the Bankers new house...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know...