Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Old Road...

I use to spend a lot of time driving around the country and I guess I have always had a THING for history, the past...OLD stuff, in general...I have always thought that if we can't remember where we came from, HOW will we ever figure out...where we are going?

In the some parts of the western US, the land is still pretty much open country. On a stretch of road between Cheyenne, Wyoming , heading south towards Greeley, Colorado, I chanced to see what remained of a very old road,  off to one side of the present, modern day road. Most of the old road had disappeared but I continued watching and a little ways farther along the way, I spied what remained of a bridge.
I have no idea when that road and bridge were last used, but from the width and size of the road , it must have been very early in Automobile history. I would assume it could only have accommodated smaller vehicles, like the Model T, or A Fords. For sure, nothing like what we drive  now, and never the truck I was driving...
It really saddens me to see our history bypassed for the (so-called) sake of progress. It's almost, as if, we don't care anymore, as long as we make money...Maybe it's the younger generations  that haven't aged enough yet to realize, they too, will someday be older and be forced to look back...and wonder...What was it like back then? When their day comes, who knows if this old road and bridge will still be here, or will someone dig it up several hundred years from now...and appreciate it?

In other parts of the country, I have witnessed similar sights. In Illinois, where I am originally from, my Uncle once showed me what remained of what was called...a HALF road. Back in the early days, often the road was only one lane(often made of BRICK), and just wide enough for one vehicle. The idea was: IF you should chance to meet another car, one of you would have to pull to the side and allow the other to pass.
With today's selfish attitudes and traffic I hate to think of even trying o get anyone to be kind enough to do something like that...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know...